Saturday, May 9, 2009

Is Eucalyptus Oil Poisonous to Rats?

I used some Eucalyptus oil in my rats' cage to help them breathe better, and it really seemed to help (one was wheezing and shaking). Then I realized it might not be good for them so I researched it on the internet. I found some pages saying it wasn't, but then a bunch saying it was fine to use.
Answers:
go to yahoo groups and look up holistarat. they should know.
I have also heard both...
Some people say it works just like it would work with a human, making breathing easier for the rats and causing no damage.
But others have said it coats the rats lungs and can actually make matter worse, and can also lead to a premature death.
This is a questions that I will definantly ask my vet about when I see him and see what he says on the issue.
I personally do not use it and definantly will not untill I find out if it's safe or not.
In the mean time, you can put a humidifier in the room with them to help out a little.
Other than that, the best thing you can do is make sure their cage stays clean and get a check up from your vet to make sure it's nothing serious.
I hope this helps...GOOD LUCK!
My advise is "when in doubt, don't use it". I have two guinea pigs, and have found a wealth of information on the internet. Also, I was astounded to find out that Yahoo has great guinea pig groups. Most of them have rats as well, and I'm sure you'll find a great rat group.
The group I found to be a life saver is: Gabbing about Piggies. It is a tremendous help if you are interested!

No comments:

Post a Comment