Saturday, May 9, 2009

Is Hand Soap Toxic To Hamsters?

Syrians
Answers:
It is hand soap that you cleaned his cage with? Hmmm... if it was a floor cleaner or anyting toxic to humans than I would say yes, but since that is not the case, I would say no. Hamsters die for many reasons and he could have been old or anything might have happened. So sorry to hear about your hammy. Also, you know that it is not the soap as it was two days later.
hamsters LOVE to chew on things, including their cages. if there was enough residue on the bars for him to ingest, it definitely could have k.o'd the little guy. Sorry. :(
Sad. I don't know but I am SO sorry. I hope you are OK. :(
Handsoap is perfectly fine as long as you rinse it out well and completely dry it before you put the hamster back in...
It was probably not the handsoap, especially if you rinsed it really well. However, I don't use soap on my gerbil's cage--I use Lemon Quat and warm water. It's totally non-toxic to small animals. You can buy it at any pet store, it's fairly inexpensive, and one bottle will last you a long time. Depending on where you go, it may just be called "small pet cage disinfectant." It comes in a spray bottle and it works really well (just don't spray it on your pet--I know this is probably a given, but you know...). Give it a try; you'll probably end up liking it better than soap anyway.
P.S. Always read labels carefully before trying a new pet product!
If you rinsed the cage out propley I dont think it would of been.
But if you are planning on getting another hamster in the future you can buy disinfectant sprays from all pet stores especially designed to clean out all rodant cages. It will kill all harmful bacteria in the cage and is very safe to use.
HE'S GONNA DIE!!
not really
dont ever clean your hampsters cage with any kind if soap! it will kill them! you will just have to scrub.

No comments:

Post a Comment