Sunday, August 2, 2009

Is my hamster dying? She is shaking a lot.?

My hamster today has been shaking a lot. I don't know if it is a breathing/asthma thing. I'm worried if she is dying and what I should do. She is able to get up to eat food still. Mostly she is lying there shaking/convulsing. I thought she might be hot, I put the air con now but she still is shaking. Poor thing, I hope she doesn't suffer too long or I can help her out. Any advise? Thanks!
Answers:
Lisa take your pet to the vet now.. do not wait small animals can not tolerate much..Good Luck I hope she is ok
it probaly had a seizure so take it to the vet and see what they say.
hope it gets better
does she have clean water to drink and is she drinking.
you can try a vet or just make sure she has everything she needs and keep her cage and bedding clean.
Many hamsters shake when they are nervous or angry. However, shaking is one symptoms of hamster diabetes. Make sure it has plenty of water.
The shakes is a sign of dieing. How old is your hamster and which breed is she? A dwarfs life span is 1-2 years and a Syrians (large breed) is 2-4 yrs. I've seen this several times with my hamsters before they died, but to really be sure take her to the vet and make sure she's not sick instead. A vet can put her down so she won't suffer if it is her time nearing. Any animal can also have seizures. We have a mouse that has had them before, but he's been doing fine for 3 months not and not another seizure so far. A seizure will last for a few seconds to several minutes and then the animals acts fine, though tired. If yours is non-stop then I'm more apt to say it's not a seizure.
My oldest dwarf will be 18 months on Tuesday and 4 of my Syrians are 18 months today. We have 1 that is about 2 yrs and another that is over 3 yrs. All but 1 are males. On the 23 %26 24 of this month we will have 6 more turning 18 months old. All but 2 of the older dwarfs are doing very well. 2 are going to the vet tomorrow along for health related problems with the oldest Syrian, he has a little dry skin (not mange).
Is she cold? Maybe you should go to the Hamster shop and buy some special cotton for her. It works. Or maybe she is just starting to get old. My Hamster died and I buried her near my house. I visit her evey week.
bring her to the vet quick. There is no time to lose.
vet right away.

1 comment:

  1. hi, My syrian female hamster died the early hours of valentine's morning, It's strange i woke up the time she was dying i wasn't sure, Her eyes were shutting she was so cold, Slight convulsions and a few times a few wheezy breathing.I picked her up and got under the bed sheets with her in my arm and just stroked her gently.She was fine the day before or put it like this, Still hiding food.I kept my hamster out of her cage as well, she moved into my stereo bless her.She got into the back of my brand new tv surround sound boom box.I never used it, still had cellophane around it.But she moved into it.Beautiful little weirdo.She always would stick her paw on my finger.She understood if i said, Are you alright lilly, or looley lou sometimes, she would put her little paw and i'd feel her little nails.Im heartbroken.She died within 20 mins of me gently stroking her.i just kept saying 'it's alrite lilly, it's okay', just saying softly and quiet she always knew if i said that ie:if fire alarm test being done or something that if i said that she understood it was associated to its safe etc.Shes being sent for a single cremation and il have her back in just under 2 weeks.Iv looked at a ring and you can put the ashes in it.Its a heart ring, she died valentine's and i loved her so much.I had a big cage for her but she started to look depressed about a year ago and she had lots of entertaining things in the cage so i knew she didn't want to be in there, she was touching with tips of her nails the top of the second floor on her cage, i realised she was trying to tell me she's to big.Mine was a big syrian cage as well.If you are close you will notice your hamster will do things, Animals are always clever enough to let you know as best they can of why or how they feel or what a problem is, like all animals/mammals.She did have a big bump coming out of her bum, she was okay, she never seemed in pain and the vet said age, squeezed some poo out as well.Before she died her eyes still looked okay, her coat very good condition so i was caught off guard to be honest.First hamster iv had since i was a kid so this was new to me but i kind of googled a lot and just new by how she was.I didn't mind letting her out of the cage as no gaps in the skirting boards or floorboards but carpeted anyway.So i knew she was okay in my bedroom but free reign.Il miss my little lilly lou, And il love her forever.Dont know if i could do this again as it's upset me even though she lived long in syrian years.2 years and if your lucky 3 years to have the beautiful little dear with you.Il keep that stereo forever, i still always say, 'night lilly'.As i did before.ps:i took the screws out the back of the stereo so i could push the back on and off to change bedding.RIP my lilly lou from London.❤xx

    ReplyDelete