Sunday, August 2, 2009

Is my MALE guinea pig too old to breed?

I have a male guinea pig (moe) that is 6 years old (he will be 7 around christmas time) and I was wondering if he is too old to breed. My female (twinki) is about 6-8 months old and I know she is still in the age range of breeding. And to all the people who are going to tell me not to breed just know that I have PLENTY of cages and space and I have been doing research on everything about breeding for months now. And I also have a specialized vet for back up just incase something does go wrong, so you wont be able to change my mind about trying to breed them. I just want to know if Moe is not to old to "preform"
Thank you
Answers:
Male guinea pigs can breed at any age that are willing. It is the female that you need to keep an eye on.
Although female pigs are fertile at two months of age or earlier, they should not be breed until they are 4-5 month old and weigh a little over a pound. The male used should be about double her age to insure potency.. A bigger problem is breeding female guinea pigs for the first time when they are too old. At 7-12 month of age the female鈥檚 pelvic bones fuse, making natural delivery next to impossible. So guinea pigs of this age that are having a first litter often need it delivered by cesarean section (dystocia). Baby pigs arrive after a pregnancy of 60-70 days. They are precocious and arrive fully developed. Babies suckle their mothers for about three weeks (180gms) and then are able to eat the same foods as their parentddddddds. Litter size ranges between one and eight. Be sure to handle the babies often at this age so that they become tame.
There's really only one way to find that out.
PLEASE don't breed! Why would you bring more of them into being when there are so many who need to be adopted and rescued?!
It makes NO sense! You obviously don't really care about them or you wouldn't be doing this? ~
Give old Moe his little moment of fun. You can always try. Probably he'll do the job better than you give him credit for.
breeding is very dangerous. he might be too old, sibce they can start breedin at like 7 months or somthing. many things can go wrong in breeding, and most of the time at least one guinea pig dies in the process.
complications during birth
http://www.aracnet.com/~seagull/guineas/...
please please read this one
http://www.cavyspirit.com/breeding.htm...
I love little baby piggies! Most male piggies are ready at three years old. I think Moe is fine for breeding. My male piggy, Captain Jack, is fine for breeding with the Black Pearl. However, I don't know his age!
i think he is fine for breeding. the worst that will happen is that there will be no babies. let him try, he will probs love it. i think you sound like a really resposible owner/breeder. if anything does happen ( which it wont) guineas!!
No, but you really should start breeding them at three years old. My male piggy, Captain Jack loves his mate, the Black Pearl! (yes my sis is zooworld101)
DON'T BREED!!!!!!!!!... Please your twinki could die!!!!! Plus if she is six-eight months old while she is pregnant her pelvic bones could close!!! Then your twinki would die no matter what!!!! I almost made the mistake of breeding but thankfully my friend talked me out of it!! Plus it would be hard to sell them because giving them to a pet store would be abandoning them and shelters want to get rid of their animals!! So please DON'T BREED!!!!!!!!!...
I hope he is too old to breed. Then you won't be risking your female pig's life. Cage space is not the issue. Killing your pig is. Breeding is dangerous. There is no good reason to breed.
I hope he's too old, too.
If she or the babies have problems, don't bother to come whining here about it. We told you so.

2 comments:

  1. That comment about not caring about your pigs is really rude and uncalled for. Yes breeding them CAN be dangerous, but it can also be worth it. Just make sure you have the right supplies and take good care of her. Have a plan for what you will do with the babies and I'd suggest only breeding her once. Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete