Sunday, August 2, 2009

Is my rabbit sick?

I have two miniature lop rabbits (a buck and a doe) and I decided to breed them. Both the buck and doe were healthy before the breeding took place. After the breeding, my buck started to act funny. He started to lay around more and breathe heavy. His coat got dull and rough. I thought at first that he was just tired. But after two months, he was still like this. My doe never had babies so he didn't even get her pregnant. I don't know how old either of them is because I bought them at an animal auction. So I guess my question is... Is my buck sick because of the breeding or could it be something else?
Answers:
They might be to old or too young for breeding. He might have been sick before you bought him and it just didn't show until later. Lots of times rabbits are bred they don't actually end up pregnant, it probably wasn't because he might be sick that she didn't get pregnant. I don't think it was breeding that made him sick.
It is probibly of old age, maby the girl hert him, sometimes they get hurt during breeding
Are they in the heat? Rabbits can't tolerate heat. Have they been vet checked? Make sure no intestinal parasites or upper respiratory infections. Are you sure they are male and female? I'd do more research on breeding. If you don't know their age, they could be too young or too old to breed. See htpp://www.rabbit.org for great rabbit info.
Ok I see a few huge problems here
1) You bought your rabbits at an auction (which is fine), but you failed to ask questions about their age, health etc.
2) You just decided to breed them...there are to many people who do this just for the experience and all it does is bring more rabbits into the world which may never find homes (i.e. Check out shelters they are always over run).
3) You waited two months before bringing your rabbit to a vet.
Take them both for check ups ASAP and from now on if they start acting weird for more then 24 hrs bring them to the vet right away. Rabbits are fragile and wonderful pets, but they can succumb to desease quickly if left untreated
If he's breathing heavy, he probably has a respiratory infection--these can turn into pneumonia, so take him to a vet asap. Also, anytime a rabbit's coat isn't well groomed, something's wrong--they keep themselves immaculately clean. Sometimes they can also have mites or lice--the only way to know this is to have your vet check this--they are microscopic so you couldn't necessarily tell by just looking.
Take your rabbit to the vet ASAP. This could be congestive heart failure or pneumonia or an upper respiratory infection.

No comments:

Post a Comment