Sunday, August 2, 2009

Is my hamster sick?

My hamster started sleeping outside her house today in a corner of the cage but she has never done that before. She's very active and runs around the house lots but she started sleeping a little earlier (12:00 P.M.) but sometimes she wakes up early (7:00 AM) and goes to sleep later (9:00 AM).
My guesses are that either it's getting hot inside her house or she feels safer outside (since sometimes we have to lift up her house to get her out of there while she's sleeping) or in the worst case, she's sick.
What's going on and what should I do?
Answers:
Please let me put your mind at rest. If your hamster is eating and drinking normally, and she is the same tempremant when you handle her, there is really nothing at all to worry about.
I have had my male syrian a year. His sleeping patterns are really eratic. Some nights I will not see him at all ( i go to bed really late) and he will be awake in the morning wanting to come out while im rushing around trying to get ready for work. other evenings he is awake on and of all evening long. Sometimes I dont see him for a few days!
He has a 3 storey cage, and he has a seperate bedroom at the top of the cage, the 3rd level, where he always sleeps. But maybe once a month, sometimes more, or sometimes less, he will take all his bedding and move it to another level of the cage where there is no seperate private area for him to sleep and creates his nest randomly there instead.
Make sure in the hotter months you give her slightly less bedding. Last summer Harry was really grumpy and would just flop out on the sawdust to sleep rather than in his bedding.
Your hamster sounds absolutley fine, i promise x
Does he have a temperature?
if it is eating, drinking and pooping normally, nothing to worry about.
Sometimes even pet hamsters need a change.
I wouldn't worry. Hamsters act differently from day to day. Maybe it was up late.
But if you are really concerned, go to your vet.
Let her sleep.
Try to find an empty shoe box and brace yourself for the worst.
These are signs of rodent dementia. Prozac may help; if that doesn't I recommend a lobotomy.

No comments:

Post a Comment