Sunday, August 2, 2009

Is my Hamster pregnant?

Four days ago I awoke to find that my male Teddy Bear Hamster in my female Dwarf's cage! He loves to escape, we find him all over the house. I think he might have dropped off my desk into Avril's cage trying to get down. Or maybe he was trying to get to her? Avril: HATES HIM! She beats him up and squeaks at him. I'm suprised he wasn't injured. They were on seperate ends of Avril's large cage. Is it possible they bred? If so, will the babies by hybrids, or just normal hamsters? I've been considering breeding Avril for a while, but to a Dwarf. HELP! Do you think she is pregnant? Is there a way to tell if they bred? Will shebe able to carry that size of baby hamsters? Or will the genes even out ok? I know I ca care for and find homes for baby hams, but is it even possible for them to have bred, and come through?
Answers:
It is possible to mate two different breeds, although in your case, it's highly unlikely. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's not even possible.
If, however, you ever breed her with another dwarf... it's difficult to tell if a hamster is pregnant but there are a few ways you can assume.
Here are some hints toward pregnancy:
- hositlity
- starts making a nest
- becomes more defensive then usual
- increased appetite or
- gained weight (your best guess would be if she gets fatter of course)
After around 30 days, if she doesn't appear any more plump, she is probably not pregnant.
Also, you definitely want to get a heavier lid or clamps for your hamsters cage if he keeps getting loose. It can be very dangerous if he escapes for long. One of mine a long time ago escaped once when I didn't realize she could open the top of her cage. She never came back. o.O
no but your mom is with my kid.
say hello to your new brother.
If your dwarf is that mean, I seriously doubt they had a chance even if he did try.
ok, that last answer was awful! anyways, you could always take it to a pet store or vet to find out and while you are there if your hammy is prego they could give you info about how the hampster will be effected and also how you should care for it.
No its not possible. And i suggest you get a small padlock or somthing for the hamster that keeps escaping, He could get lost or go under the floor boards or somthing and you will never see him again
They are two different species of hamsters - they aren't genetically compatable.
it depends if avril starts acting diffrent like preparing a nest or something you could know. i suggest you take her to the vet
no i pray

No comments:

Post a Comment