Sunday, August 2, 2009

Is my hamster got mange dissease? What is the therapy?

My hamster is getting sick, she lost her feather, and her foot are getting swollen, her mouth is always wet. I gave her drink and she looks like very thirsty.. Can I give her antibiotik therapy such as cefadroxyl? and antihistamin? By the way, I am a doctor but hamster illness make me confuse... Thanks for your help..
Answers:
I'm not a vet or doctor, but I know something about what medicines not to give and which ones are safer. See below for list.
Well then you of all people know to take the hamster to a small animal vet. They have very fragile systems and most antibiotics for cats or dogs and humans can prove fatal to them.
Mange is easily treated and I've have several with it and all of mine were treated by a qualified vet. All but one did survive, that one was very old when he got the mange. We think one we rescued may have had it since that one did have a small patch of hair missing, but he was never put in the same cage with any of the others or the one that died. We keep hand sanitizer with the cages to use in between handling the different ones and only 3 of us are in charge of them. We allow no one else to hold them and we do private home or work delivery for adoptive families. This way the animals feel safer then with a bunch of people upsetting them. Plus my insurance is cheaper then if I allowed people to come here and I need to count pennies in hard times if you understand me on this.
Mange is treated with oral antibiotics and by using a topical ointment for relieving the itch and softening the dry flacky skin. The ointment (depending on which one) can also aid with the regrowth of the hair. I wish I could remember which ointment we used to let you know for the vet.
Neither of the 2 mentioned medicined are on the below list for use in a hamster so don't use either of them. The Cefadroxyl will kill him if given in any doseage.
Unsafe medicines
Amoxycillin
Ampicillin
Carbenicillin
Cefoxitin
Cephalexin
Chloramphenicol
Clindamycin
Dihydrostreptomycin
Erythromycin
Gentamicin
Lincomycin
Penicillin
Streptomycin
Tetracyline
Vancomycin

Safe medicines
Baytril
Neomycin
Septra
Please be aware that many antibiotics will cause an allergic and often deadly reaction in hamsters.
Please don鈥檛 use ANY medicines intended for humans on hamsters. Doing so will cause deadly harm.
Please take this list of medicine with you on any visit to your veterinarian. This can be very useful if you think your vet is unfamiliar or not as experienced as you would like with small animals.
yes it will be fine i experienced thesame with myhamster it really works hope it gets better
also i ahve a qeustion if ucan emailme at cutiesue53@aim.com please thnx
go to the vet mange needs an antibiotic injection and a special solution to bath them in. they can get reinfected by straw or hay bedding which carries the mange mites.

No comments:

Post a Comment