Saturday, May 22, 2010

Is normal for my gerbils?Read details..?

Well, my gerbils always wake up in thier glass aquarium and they eat from thier food bowl and then they get bored and scratch at the cage and flip thier food bowl around and jump to the top of the cage to push the top off or something (luckly the top is latched) and whenever i put thier metal wheel in, they run on it for awhile then they flip it on its side and chew on the bars!!!! is this normal????? =0
Answers:
Lol! My gerbils do the same exact thing! Its completely normal. I don't even use the food bowl I bought for them, I just put the food at the bottom of the cage. Your gerbils will scratch the glass wall, but it does no harm at all. I have a metal wheel for my gerbils too, and they don't use it. So I don't even leave it in their cage, all they will do is flip it over and chew on it till it rusts. Give them paper, and cardboard to chew on. My gerbils have a roll-around ball too, and that is enough exercise for them. O, and my gerbils jumped to the top of the tank also, to try to get out. They will eventually realize they can't get out, and may stop. My gerbil did it for like three months straight, he doesn't even do it anymore now. I don't know if your gerbils will stop doing it, but the jumping definetly will decrease after some time. If you have ever owned a gerbil before, you would know that this is normal behavior for a gerbil. There funny like that!
Good luck with your gerbils! P.S.- Gerbils are better than hamsters!=)
I had two gerbils and they were goofy little guys. They also liked to tip over their homes and toys. They didn't really scratch at their food bowl but they did act like they were digging at the corner of their tank. Gerbils were originally desert animals and they absolutey love to dig. Its also good for the gerbils to chew so their teeth don't get too long. I don't think it's anything to worry about. Just be sure they don't hurt themselves. If you see that they do, you might want to call the vet. But I think they're just being energetic.
maybe theyre causing trouble because they are running out of things to do. if you don't have one yet, try getting one of those plastic balls you can put them in so they can roam around the room freely. i would suggest limit where they go though because they may leave a trail of poop along the way :)
I actually have 5+ gerbils: 2 parents, three of the older baby boys, and the most recent litter soon to be given away. My three older boys ( two of them are albino) are even crazier than your own. They jump from the bottom of the aquarium to a floating wheel in the topper. it is perfectly normal, especially if your gerbils are under two years old. Enjoy watching them while it lasts, pretty soon they will quiet down and not do much of anything once they get older. good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment