Saturday, May 22, 2010

Is there any problem with getting a bird cage for a rat?

So, I went to PetCo and Petsmart today and found a good quality bird cage for much less than a 'small animal' cage. My question is, if I take out the grate on the bottom and secure the easy-sliding side doors to the cage with wire so the rats can't open them, can I substitute this cage for a rat cage?
I'm planning on putting in ledges and landings and such around the cage so the rats have a smaller chance of falling as well.
Answers:
A cage is a cage. You can use it just fine as you describe. As long as the animal is confined you can put whatever you wish in a "Bird" cage.
It will probably work, buy the sturdiest cage they have, a bored rat can do some amazing things.
Yes , 1 its far too big , and 2, Do you not think rats are a bit unhygenic ? and don't they carry deseases and so on.
I would call Petco and ask them
yeah probably, i mean, i've heard of ppl who use plastic storage bins for cages =p
Bird cages are wonderful cages for rats if you don't mind having to do some minor modifications to accommodate them. But only the biggest cockatiel cages would be big enough. Budgie, canary, and finch cages are too small for rats.
http://www.petsmart.com/global/search/se...
Could you provide a link to your chosen cage and I could give you a better idea on how it could work for your rats.
I bought a cockatiel cage and added an extra shelf. It's great for mothers and their babies, young rats, or two adult females who fancy themselves as escape artists.
http://www.epinions.com/pets-birds-bird_...
spazrats
"my life has gone to the rats"
Not just any kind. They need tons of space and room.
Funny my first rat cage was a cockatiels cage.it worked
As long as the cage has a lot of floor room, then it should be fine. You should add shelves, hides, hammocks, etc., because rats are very active. Also, if the bird cage has a plastic bottom, the rat can chew through it, trust me, I know because I had a rat cage with a plastic bottom and my rats chewed out.

No comments:

Post a Comment