Monday, May 24, 2010

Is there any way that hamsters can go to bed at night and up during the day?

well i might get a panda hamster. i want him to stay in my room. but he might keep me up all night. plz tell me!
Answers:
Above all else, hamsters are nocturnal, they WILL wake up at night, and yes they can be noisy.
What you may be surprised to know, is that most people get used to this very quickly. The worst thing is a squeaky wheel, which vegetable or mineral oil can be rubbed onto it, which will stop the squeak, and is harmless to your pet.
With the right amount of handling in the day, hamsters will learn to be awake more in the daytime. The ones I've had have always been happy to be awake in the daytime, for an hour or more at a time. But then they will want to sleep for a few hours. Most Hamsters naturally wake up every 2 - 4 hours on average to have a drink, something to eat, and to go the toilet. So your hamster can be awake more in the day, but he will still wake up at nights.
If the only place you'll be able to keep him is in your room, don't get one, because if you can't get used to the noises, there'll then be another hamster needing a new home, and that just isn't fair on him. However if you have somewhere else (agreed with parents, if you're still living at home), then you'll just have to hope you can put up with the noise.
First hamster I had in my room (I was maybe 9) it took me about a week to be able to get sleep normally, so I just went bed 15 minutes earlier. After about 3 months we went on holiday, and I found sleeping without the nosies hard!
Hope this helps!
You'll get use to the noise that he'll make at night, all he does is run in his wheel, or run around, but
it might keep you up for awhile, just ignore it or block it with the tv.
Hope this helps =]!
you could try getting it to switch its sleeping time. If your hamster likes the wheel a lot, then I only put the wheel in at daytime and at night take it out so during the day it'll play and by nighttime it'll be so tired it'll have to sleep. hope this helps =]

No comments:

Post a Comment