Monday, May 24, 2010

Is this hurting my hamster? How to help him?

I saw about a month ago, that it looked like my hamster had some stuff in his cheek, but i thought he was going to spit it out, and I kept seeing his cheek full of stuff.
last night I felt his cheeck, and I think he had some seeds stuck in his cheek pouch. Is it hurting him? How do I get them out?
Should I take him to the vet? I don`t want my lil` baby to suffer- Pleeze help :)
Answers:
As you've seen from the other answers they do stuff things in their pouches. If its jsut seeds then no, they can always get the seeds out. If it was something else like crackers then yes it would be stuck. the hamster knows what is safe to stuff in their cheek pouches. you can rest easy.
Hamsters do store food in their cheeks, that's perfectly normal behaviour :)
well idk were u read that crap cfrom but its a normal thing..he will also spit it out and save it for later...its just something they do...its not hurting him at all...u will probably hurt him if you try getting it out
hi,yep they do that and its normal.BUT if it doesnt take it out and stash it somewhere then it could be stuck.if so the best bet is a trip to the vets,that way they get bit and not you.if it stays in too long it can get infected.
if it lets you do it you can try to gently push it out,dont go fishing around inside as you can do more harm than good.or if you feed it something like bits of apple,this could bring it out with the apple.
it might be an infection already,and can still be touched by you and it not bother it.they are quite hardy,i had one that broke its leg and its foot stuck out sideways.i took it to the vets he said do nothing and it will be ok.it looked wierd but still got around on its stump no probs.good luck
no because that's how they eat when they are in their house and don't want to get up so they eat
I don't think u should b that worried. Hammies always store food in their cheeks and it rarely if ever gets stuck.
if you are that worried about it head for your vet right away. even if the trip wasn't necessary at least it made you feel better and it's better to be safe than sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment