Monday, May 24, 2010

Is this a safe idea for my hamster?

I was thinking about putting wax paper on the bottom of the cage and then put the bedding, so It'll be easier to clean.
Is the wax paper safe or will it harm my hamster in any way?
(I haven't tried it yet, I'm just asking to see if It is safe)
Answers:
I wouldnt do it. They will eat it and since its not a rat with a cast-iron-gut I think it would harm it. Wax would be stored in the brain and could cause a whole lot of side effect or kill it. But there is some bedding that is out there that is safe for pets. Its like paper without the glue and chemicals. I used it for my hamster. Its called Care Fresh Pet Bedding. It works great! They love digging in it and its not to expensive. Hope this helps.
I don't think it is a good idea cause if the hamster eats or licks it.
I wouldn't.at best he will just dig it up %26 shred it for his nest - at worst he could eat it %26 it might cause an impaction %26 kill him
No, I wouldn't use wax paper. But you can use newspaper. Believe it or not, the ink used on newspapers is totally non-toxic. So go ahead and put down a sheet of newspaper to cover with bedding. Hope this helps!
Wax Paper is not a threat but a better idea would be newspaper and if your worrin about the pee soaking through double up and simply wipe watever is left with paper towels.
I put news paper,in the cage.It work's great.
debbie_mnt
I don't know but just incase at your gocery store they usally sell special cloth to go under your hamsters cage it works very well and they smell good too!
unless u want to clean up a bigger mess (meaning your hamster) i suggest u shouldnt do that
I don't think you should do it. It would be easier to clean, but if the hamster eats it, it could really plug it up and be really bad for it. It stinks since now you have to do it the hard way, but it's better to be safe.
yes it will work perfect . I do it all the time
You'll still have a puddle, but it will be on wax paper instead of the plastic. At least newspaper is absorbent.
I do that to and it doesn't hert my hamster.
um well usually hamsters like to dig up bedding to make a nest... and when he hits the paper, he might think it is bedding and put it in his mouth, but then he cant get it out and he will choak... so i think that you SHOULDN'T use wax paper
I really wouldn't do that! You should use Carefresh bedding because Pine shavings and Cedar can kill your hamster!
No Please Dont.
Cut Stripps Of Paper In They're. Its Fun For Them Since They Can Dig %26 Easy To Clean. Please Change Paper Every Week. Hope I helped
Nope. Wax paper is neither digestible nor water soluble, and if they hamster eats it it could be deadly to him.
The cage is easy to clean if you clean it at least once a week. The worst case scenario should be if your hamster likes to urinate in the same part of the cage alot, there may be some damp bedding and a damp spot on the cage. When you clean the cage, take out the hamster, take out all his dishes and toys, dump all of the litter, wipe the base of the cage out with a damp paper towel, and dry it with a dry paper towel. Then put fresh bedding in, clean his dishes and toys if possible, and put him back in.
If you want, you could clean the corner he urinates in every day by using a plastic spoon to scoop out the soiled litter, and replace it with some fresh litter. There really isn't a need to line your hamster's cage, and since they are diggers, they'll dig down to whatever you line it with. The suggesting to line with newspaper is not a bad one, but the ink could stain your hamster's feet or fur. It is non-toxic, however, if it is a new newspaper that has not been left outside.
It depends if your hamster tends to ingest stuff. If not, then it would be ok. But to be safe, you might want to cut up linoleum and put it on the bottom, along with newspaper. Then you can lift up the newspape and bedding, and the linoleum is very easy to wipe up quickly.
Dont use wax paper, use news paper instead...news paper wont hurt him.
erm .. try something else like news paper
I shouldn't think it would harm your hamster in any way BUT I think to be on the safe side I would use newspaper.
try newspapers, it is healthier and cheaper.
I dun think it's safe, better dun becos it might lick or chew and eat the paper.
I wouldn't suggest it in case hammie eats it and gets sick, just dump out the old bedding once a week.,

No comments:

Post a Comment