Saturday, May 22, 2010

Is there a way that you can tell what age a guinea pig is besides going back to the store?


Answers:
I agree that the store really won't be able to tell you anything. When I first got our two boys, we took them to the vet. She looked at their back teeth and estimated them to be approx 4 %26 5 years old. She said you can tell by the coloring on their teeth (their teeth are always growing).
Truth be told, though, I'm not really knowledgeable on this topic. I thought I'd just add my two cents in experience. :)
The store won't be able to give you an age. They will guess, but won't know. There is a way to estimate the age of your pig based on his or her nails. Go to guinealynx.info and search the forum or ask on there. There are numerous experts that will be able to answer you more accurately.
I have to agree that going to the pet store wouldn't solve anything. Once they told my friend that her mice were two girls, but one was a boy! i bet you can guess how that turned out. Are you wanting to know for health reasons?
I don't think the store will be able to tell it's age, maybe ask your local vet, or a guinea pig breeder. To me it seems really hard to tell age unless you have A LOT of experience with the animal. the vet/breeder should know! :)
I'd guess if its near death.
Go to a vet, look at its size.
Depends on the animal. When I get them turned over and there is no back round info I make a educated guess on many factors-teeth, size of animal, size of genitalia, etc

No comments:

Post a Comment