Monday, May 24, 2010

Is this bedding okay for my gerbils?

Okay, so I have had my two boy gerbils for over a year. I have always used the same bedding. It is AlfaPet The #1 Pine Shavings. I have heard that pine and cedar shavings can cause respiratory problems(that's breathing, right?). Is that true. Sometimes, I put my gerbils nose up to my ear and their breathing sounds like they are trying to sniff something out, they are like quick, fast, every 2 seconds. Are they okay? Should I use a different bedding? If so, what should I use. The first person to answer this with a good answer and a source, will get 10 points. THANKS!
Answers:
Pine and Cedar bedding are said not to be good for your hamsters/gerbils/or ANY other kinds of small pets. Yes it can cause respiratory/breathing problems and these wood shavings can even develop allergies for hamsters!
I would bring your gerbils to a vet just in case. Small pets can go downhill fast if they are sick.
Yes, you should use a different bedding. You should use CareFresh. It is my favorite bedding so far, and the same for many others. I hear that aspen bedding is okay and I think it is true. You should read links about Pine and Cedar and their dangers.
If you have used that bedding for a while and havent had any problems then it should be fine. There is a paper bedding that is good for any sort of rodent. ( Carefresh I think it is )
Some wood shavings in a poorly ventilated cage will allow fumes to collect and that can hurt your pets.
I've heard that pine and cedar aren't right for gerbils. I have a gerbil. When we got him they recomened using Aspen chips (that's another type of wood)...
the kind we have now is "AlpfaPet" Aspen Bedding
the advantages of aspen bedding are
-no wood oils
-high absorbency
-odorless
-non toxic
and
-fluffy for easy tunneling
you might want to take your gerbils to the vet to see if anything is wrong
i hope everything turns out ok
NO it is not okay because cedar and pine shavings have chemicals in them that can affect gerbils respirtory system
Go to this site it tells you about it http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/guineapig...
P.S. If I were you i would use Carefresh Pet Bedding Colors (thats what i use for my rat and gerbils).
Hope it helps :)
it should be okay the best person who would no would be is the pet store person i use pine shavings and mine are 3 years old
I think I use a similar bedding. Cedar is not okay for hamsters. It can really do a lot of damage to their respitory systems. Pine is o.k., as long as it doesn't seem to be bothering them. If you ever notice them having an allergic reaction to the bedding, switch to new bedding immediately. Your gerbils seem to be ok with the pine bedding. The best shavings to use is aspen.
Well from experience i would suggest that you change beddings to Care fresh or Kaytee bedding but thats just my idea the link below is great too.
DEFINATLY! NEVER USE PINE OR CEDAR!!! use carefresh or aspen. those are the best beddings. and they are mostly recommended by experts.

No comments:

Post a Comment