Saturday, May 22, 2010

Is there a way to change my hamsters choice of toilet area?

My hamster sees is run around ball as a toilet.
Today as soon as I put him in it he peed. So I cleaned up the pee and put him back in it.
He then pooped in it not long afterwards. So I took him out and cleaned it again.
I do not get why he uses it as a bathroom when he likes running in it as well. I clean out with Soap and hot water every night.
Answers:
This is very normal for hamsters. They poop and pee a lot when they are active. It is very hard to prevent a hamster from pooping or peeing if they choose a spot. My hamster poops 5 times a minute when I put him in the run-about ball.
Hamsters usually choose one area of their Habitat to use as their toilet. They seem to eliminate all the time. You might as well get used to it kiddo... LOL
Where does he normally poo and pee at? The usualloy pick one spot, its hard to change it, but you can make cleaning MUCH easier.
-Buy a small animal litter pan, put in some bedding soiled with his pee, and a few drops of his poop. Put the litterpan in the exact same place where he normally pees and poops. It should work, it worked with my hamster.
As for changing his spot, he has already marked his territory, so I'm not sure if there's a way to do that.
We usually wake up our hamsters to put them into their balls so its not wonder they have to use the bathroom.. I know with my rat before i take him out i put him in the bath tub to go to the bathroom (keep him in it for about 15 min). Then take him out and put him in the ball and cross your fingers :)
Hi
What would is suggest is to put food in that area. It worked for me :)
Good Luck :)
Sabby
not really, although that is a weird place to go, it may feel safer there tho.
If you are waking your hamster up to go in the ball make sure you leave him/her plenty of time to go for a wee before you take it out.
Also, make sure you don't leave him/her in the ball for too long- about 20mins max not only to minimise the wee issue but because the balls tend to be quite enclosed so air can't get in that well.
You may not stop the pooping in the ball but at least thats not quite as messy!
Hope this helps!
first of all dont wake him for anything. i dont know why all these people are talking about waking them. they will chew the cage bars when they want in the ball. u cant force them to use any spot but u can encourage it in the house. im assuming yours has a spot in his house that he uses already and doesnt just go in the ball? they mark their territory in the ball and often do poop in it too, nothing u can do but clean it. when r u putting him in it? perhaps u need to change when u put him in. some dont use the ball at all--it varies from pet to pet.

No comments:

Post a Comment