Saturday, May 22, 2010

Is there any safe anti inflammatory drug for my pet rat?

My pet rat, Bill, has developed a VERY swollen leg. There are no signs of any external injury and I'm afraid of the worst- Maybe cancer. I took him out early this morning to clean his cage and didn't notice anything wrong, but about 12 hours later when I opened his cage to feed him, I noticed it. He is over 5 years old and I've had him since he was about 5 weeks old. He is moving around allright, but slightly dragging the leg. I may not be able to get him to the vet for a few days depending on when I can get an appointment, so does anyone know af a rat safe human drug or herb etc, (and the dosage) I can give him in the mean time to reduce the swelling? Thanks so much!
Answers:
I'm sorry that your rats leg is swollen but there isn't any human medicine that will work for a rat as an antiinflammatory. They are soo tiny and the dose would be a microscopic amount that they would be able to metabolize and tolerate. I suggest that you try to get him to the vet ASAP. It very well could be a tumor but most tumors aren't cancerous. They can be removed but they will most likely return. The vet will be able to tell you for sure what is going on and how to possibly treat it. Your lucky that you've gotten 5 years with him. You are obviously a great rat owner. I hope he gets well soon. Good luck
Congratulations on your boy being 5 years old, that's really something. What you feed the boy? Has he not got his leg caught in the cage at all and maybe just sprained it? good luck
Email Spazrats (aka Sandra Beasley) she is one of the top contributors on here she's not hard to find.
Update please.

No comments:

Post a Comment