Monday, May 24, 2010

Is there anyway for me to make my hamster less shy around me?

how was it like for your first time when your hamster was shy around you? what did you do? also how many times a day do you bring out your hamster to play and what do you guys do? i am excited for your answers! =D
Answers:
I had a hamster that lived to be four years old, which is really old for a hamster. The best thing to do it not to scare it and to build its trust. Don't force it out of the cage and chase it around...especially when you first bring it home. It needs to get used to you and used to its new home before being introduced and played with. Give it a few days to just become accustomed to its cage. The next most important thing is to try to feed it from your hand. Learn what foods it likes best and pick out things for it to eat. When it starts taking food from your hand, it is starting to learn that you are the one who feeds it and it needs to respect you. It won't take more than a week or so for your hamster to get used to you. I loved my hamster, though I didn't play with him too much. One of my favorite things to do with him was to take him into the bathroom to play. He loved running around in there and it was safe because there wasn't anywhere he could go or anything he could get into. I would just sit on the floor with him and let him run around me and climb on me and stuff... he was sweet.
Try to give it food out of your hand, and pet it.
Im not really sure if they like to be petted or what not.
Because my last hamster did not like it and he tryed to bit.
Keep in mind that hamsters are not like dogs, you know...
You cant really bond much.....
On the first day you get your hamster, you should just let him get used to the envirnoment around him first and just let him be. Then slowly, take him out in a day or two for abour 10 mins each time and corner him with something and just try to pet him and get him a rolling ball or something. But be careful they are fragile and they might bite!
actually, i had my hamsters like 5 years ago? lol... but i had fun with them.. as far as i can remember, they do actually seem shy when i first got them.. but eventually they turned so perky.=)
things that i did:
1. kept them in their home for about 2-3 days without touching them just giving them enough food and adequate water (for them to feel that they are being taken cared of by their owner)
2. after those days, i eventually touched them. not holding them. i just let my fingers touch their fur.
3. after being accustomed to what i am doing, i started carrying them with my hands... playing with them...
4. eventually, i tried to bathe them... they are actually good swimmers. =) (exciting fact).. i just really stayed with them when they swim in tepid water. see on how their cheeks puff...=)
that's it... another tip: always keep their place clean and dry. keep them away from cats, dogs or any other pets that may harm them> guess you know these things. =)
good luck and enjoy!
well heres an idea it worked 4 me) u got to be around your hamster alot and when its time to be fed u feed him because when hes around you alot he begins to get used to u and knows u more when u repeat this for about seven days he will get used to u more start playing with him and treating him specail
My first hamster was way too energetic so I closed off all escapes in my room and let him run around about twice a day. I also had one of those rolling balls to bring him outside in about once a day.
WhenI first got him he was PRETTY shy though so I made sure I spent time just letting him get comfortable with me. I talked to him-yes talked to him- so he would get used to my voice. Make sure you talk kind of softly to your hamster though, or youll scare him. The other thing I did was let him sniff my finger at different times of the day so he wouldn't bite me when I tried to feed him, pet him, or pick him up.You can also try different books or websites on hamsters like these-
at first,it was very hard.they always try to stay away from me.but i insisted on handling them and playing with them.until they became comfortable with me and shyness faded away.always play with ur hamster.i suggest everyday.play with them at night becoz they prefer to sleep during the day. let them crawl up to ur shirt.hold them gently.but be careful becoz they are escape artists,be careful becoz they might slip ur hands and fall on the ground.i have 4 hamsters today.and i play with them at night everyday.it makes me happy playing with them.they make my day complete.after a hard day,just playing and talking with them takes my stress away.after quite some time,they won't be shy anymore.for first time,try putting food in ur hands while tempting them to go out of their cages.scrub ur hands in their beddings so that they would recognize u.they have a very good sense of smell.always wash ur hands first before handling them.they would recognize ur smell,so it won't be hard.hope i helped you.it's all based on my experience. try to surf this website: hookedonhamsters.com
When You First Bring It Home Let I Get Used To Its Surroundings Then Feed It Out Of Your Hand And Play With It As Much As You Can.

No comments:

Post a Comment