Saturday, May 22, 2010

Is taking care of a rat weird?

my friend bought a rat %26 she asked if i could help her take care of it.so is it weird????
Answers:
I've taken care of over 200 rats over the course of the last 11 years so I guess I'm really weird. They don't call me the "Rat Lady" for nuthin'. LOL! :)
Seriously, it takes a great deal of effort to find someone who is not repulsed by them to care for my numerous rats should I want to go away from home for any length of time.
Take it as an honor that your friend has asked you to help her take care of her rat. It means she trusts you and will probably call upon you as a pet-sitter once you learn how to care for the most popular and sweetest pets a person could have.
Edit:
Hockey_gal9, I am so sorry for your loss of George :*( I know how much you loved your ratty boy from the first question you asked here at Y!A. We do get attached to them don't we? Grabbed a tissue from the tissue box upon hearing your sad news :*( ........ and that's not a weird feeling at all for those of us who love rats.
I hope that the young lady asking the question gets to find out what that love is like.
spazrats
"my life has gone to the rats"
domestic rats are good pets, i don't see how it could be weird.
Yes.
Seriously, don't know if you ever watched
"Fawlty Towers", but there was a hysterical episode with Basil the Rat (passed off as a "Siberian Hamster".
To each his own - I guess rats are furry and could pass as cute.
my brother had a rat and they are good pets but i think you should decide for yourself if you want to help her
nope not weird iv got 2 of them i dont think its weird
Rats are not weird for a pet. In fact my cousin had one, a cat and a dog at the same time. What was weird was that the cat was afraid of the rat, and the dog was afraid of the cat. In fact Rats can become quite affectionate with people. A warning however, NEVER feed them between the cage bars, because they will start nipping you hands when you hold them against the bars, because they think that your hands are food.
It's not weird, rats make great pets.
nope
It's not weird at all, as a matter of fact, as far as small animals go, domesticated rats are a good choice. Rats are more intelligent and, therefore, offer more opportunities for interaction. You can play with them or train them, they'll learn their names, a number of commands (although, generally, I don't think you can teach them to play dead or roll over, but you can teach them how to fetch) or even train them to walk on a leash. I've even managed to "potty train" all my rats (which is a big plus as other small animals just go where ever they want), they learn very quickly and are playful. However, they do require more attention than other small animals because they are more intelligent, they get bored and depressed if you don't play or interact with them.
rats are very very very very intelligent i tought mine how to play hide-seek i promise they are very docile trust me you'll love it!!!


love Becky
no! they are actually purdy smart. and they have great personalities too
no not at all, when you're friend no longer needs or wants your help you'll want your own rat
If it is, then I'm weird, lol. (Then again, I've also had a bat, a python, turtles, birds, fish, etc) Really, it's not weird at all.
Spazrats, just wanted to let you know that I lost my rattie George (the one with the skin cancer) today.
no, silly
rats make the best pets ever.
they will ride on your shoulder and go places with you.
they learn their names and come when called.
the females smell sort of like grape soda - if you keep their cage clean
they are easy to care for and sooo easy to love
so - if your friend wants you to help her care for her rat - you are in luck - just prepare to fall in love :)

No comments:

Post a Comment