Monday, May 24, 2010

Is there something wrong with my Dwarf Hamster??

My dwarf hamster has been squeeking non-stop everytime he wakes up.
He wakes me up in the middle of the night like a crying baby, its loud.
He does it in the daytime too. Everytime I walk up to his cage he stops and looks at me.
I think something is wrong with him because I see him rolling around squeeking, i just dont know what.
And the other day I walked over to his cage and he looked at me, started rolling around, and ripped a turd out of his butt with his teeth. Is he constipated or something? What could be wrong with him?
I dont like hearing the little dude squeek and not be able to do anything about it.
I thought he just wanted out of his cage but that didnt seem to help. Im starting to think he has some sort of health problem. Can anyone help me find an answer for this?
Thank you so much.
Answers:
I would call a vet to be sure on this. A hamster can become constipated with not enough dry veggies in his diet. I'm raising at present, 12 dwarfs and none of my are doing this, but have raised up to 35 at one time with none doing this.
there may be a health problem, but he may just want attention too, and dwarf hamsters do squeak a lot.
ok, this is going to be a little gross, but he might have gas. Rodents, like hamsters, etc, cant "release it" so their bodies hold it and they get gas pains. I dont know how to fix it, but I would suggest changing his diet and seeing a vet.
There are certain fresh foods, that if over fed, can cause it. if you give him to make fresh veggies and such.
it does hurt them a lot, so I'd suggest a vet.
Dwarf Hamsters are known for suffering from diabetes. This makes them sick, and in pain, you can google what to do for them. You will have to feed him a special diet. If this doesen't work, well a trip to the vet will help.
Since he stops squeeking when you are near have you thought about getting another hamster to keep him company?
Dwarf hamster live in family groups. If you get another one make sure it is the same sex or you will have many babies.

No comments:

Post a Comment