Thursday, July 30, 2009

Is it okay to take a guinea pig out into town with you?

will it go to the bathroom on me or be uncomfortable?
Answers:
I have to admit, this question made me kind of giggle. If I could, I would take a pig with me everywhere. But I don't, for multiple reasons. First of all, guinea pigs get stressed very, very easily, and traveling can be very stressful on them. It's just better, emotionally and physically, for the guinea pig to stay where they're most comfortable - at home with you.
Also, yes, you would eventually get peed and pooed on. I have my pigs out for more than 20 minutes and I'm guaranteed to get tinkled on. And they're poop machines, so you're guaranteed to have a purse full of little poops.
NO NO NO!
it seems okay, but it might go bathroom on you..
It will be scared to death and you will also risk losing it if it panics and runs away. Why do you want to torture the little guy? For your entertainment?
i say absolutely yes! go for it. It will be glad you let it out for some fresh air. put it on a leash and walk it!
probably not i have four Guinea pigs [we started with a boy and girl then well, you get the picture :]
Guinea pigs like to have little homes to hide in because it makes them feel comfortable they should stay in a cage at home with wood chips to make them feel comfortable
another reason they should not come out of the cage expect for playing with them and holding them is because they could break they're leg from dropping it by accident because of it squirming around etc. if a Guinea pig breaks it leg it could die from not being able to reach food and water. we had that happen once to our oldest pig. but we nursed him back to health by keeping food and water near him
.... anyway im getting off topic
also, just a tip:
you shouldn't let pigs run around the house because they could chew on wires or get smoshed.
if this didn't help you should probably go to your local pet store and ask for tips on caring for Guinea pigs or go to your library and get books on Guinea pigs [they are very help full that's what my family did when we got our first pig]
by the way when i say pig I'm referring to Guinea pigs =]
Your Starting To Sound Like The Next Paris Hilton! Its Probably Very Cruel! When You See White In a Guinea Pigs Eye It Means Its Terrified! Anyway The Chances Of It Peeing On You Are High!! And If You Take It On A Harness Then What If It Comes Loose Or Gets Trampled On. I'm Sorry But If You Loved Your Guinea Pig Like i Do Then You Would Save it An Early Death Bed! Xx Bye Make The Right Choice!
I take one of my guinea pigs "bye-bye in the car-car" and he really enjoys it. However, I make sure I'm not gone for more than 20 minutes, because their little bladders are sooooo small.
Also, even if you are running your air conditioner, direct sunlight is very dangerous and could make your pet overheat. If you do take your piggie with you, make sure it is overcast and the temperature is not warmer than 75 degrees.
In addition, keep in mind that a car trip could end their life in the unfortunate event of a car accident. You cannot control how people around you drive and it is a risk every time you put your pig in the car with you.
I choose to hold mine, but most people will advise you to put your pet in a carrier and buckle it up!
In addition, I asked members of my guinea pig group if it was possible to put my guinea pig in a sling so I could take him for short walks. I was told yes, but it needs to be secure to your chest and you need to make sure that noises in the street don't spook him/her enough to jump out.
Good luck and have fun.
Let me know how it goes!
Lori,
Rascal and Wendi
it will miss its real home! it will be uncomfortable and since it will be scared, it WILL go to the bathroom on you!
I wouldnt take your guineapig with you. Get one of your RESPONSIBLE neibors or friends to look after it. If you absolutely MUST take it with you then bring its cage and plenty of food, water and veggies
either carry the guinea pig in a towel that no cares about or go and buy a leash made for guinea pigs
It is sooooooooo okay to have you're guinea pig to go into town with you. Just make sure you put bedding down in the carring cage with you and feed it and give it water every once and a while.
I sometimes take my piggies for a bit of a wonder round my street but going to town is probably not a good idea. Guinea pigs poo and pee A LOT. I guess it will be alright in a towel but it might be a traumatic experience for poor piggy! Having said that though my piggies like car rides..

No comments:

Post a Comment