Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Is it ok to leave my Hamster alone for the first 24 hrs I have him?

My local pet store will have 6 Teddy Bear Hamsters tomorrow.
I hear that they get adopted really quickly. But I am in the process of changing apartments. I will have to be at my old one Tuesday night b/c I am taking care of a Cat ( So the hamster can't stay there).
I already have all the stuff and the cage is being set-up tonight (Tuesday). I will be able to stay with til about 9pm. Will he be ok until I am done work on Wednesday. That is when I fully move into my new place.
Answers:
Actually thats what you should do. You are supposed to leave the little guys to get aquainted with their new homes and marking their territory and finding their favorite hiding place for their stash before playing with them or anything. As long as you leave enough food and water there, he should be fine. and when you Are able to come back make sure you change the water and clean the cage a tiny bit. =]
Would you trust me to watch him?
yeah just leave enough water and food
If he is in his cage, then he will be fine. Just make sure the temp of the room is stable and not too hot. Also, make sure he has food and water.
its alright as long as you leave alot of food and water. make sure you lock his cage
yeah its fine. just leave enough water n food.more woodshaving if its cold at night, and leave it where its not too cold or too hot.
Call the pet store and ask them if you could pay for the hamster with your credit/debit card and if they could hold him/her for you. Just say that you can't come for awhile them tell them when you'll pick him/her up! At Petco they'll put him/her in the back room where no one will buy him/her. That's how I got my gerbil! If they can't, a backup supply of food and a full water bottle, and it should be fine.
Yes, this is fine. But, before you go, make sure that he has plenty of food and water. But, try not to play with him. He needs to be by himself for the first 24 hours anyways, so, just get him in his cage and make sure the he has food and water, and then you should be fine. Also, make sure that you have a good hiding place for your hamster, so that he can hide away from any noise or because he is in a new cage. Thanks, and good luck on the new hamster,
~ Future Vet
I dont think so, you should bond with him.........
Yeah actually hamsters are prone to something called wet tail basically its diarrhea for hamsters its caused by stress... anyways when I worked in a pet store years ago we suggested you leave the hamster alone for the first 24 hours so that it has a chance to get over the shock of a home change and different scents this will help to prevent wet tail. So yes it is a GREAT idea to leave your little guy alone ... provide him with enough food and water to get him through the night . make sure he has bedding and a little hut to sleep in and he will be perfectly OK
actully when you get a hamster it is good to leave him alone in his cage for a little bit so he or she can get used to the cage...just leave lots of food and water
Well.. new hamsters are often best left to settle in their home for 24 hours anyway. So long as it's not going to be noisy for him/her, and he/she has got fresh water and food, then it should be ok!
yes it is, to let your hammy get used to its new surroundings.
yes he'll be fine, they need some time to adjust to their new house anyway. I have 2 cats and 3 hamsters, the new kitten is still learning not to mess with the hamsters, the other is like a babysitter.
Yup, he'll be fine. It will give him a chance to settle into his new surrounding.

No comments:

Post a Comment