Thursday, July 30, 2009

Is it safe to use normal shoe laces for my hamster to play with ???

i have taken some laces out my old shoes and tied them onto the bars in my cage but will it be ok if my hamster chews them ??
Answers:
no. give him toilet paper tubes instead. if u use unscented plain tissue like scott, u can even leave a couple sheets on the roll. the cotton and plastic ends are not good for them. can get lodged in their pouches and cause digestion problems too from swallowing some. there are also plenty of toys at the petstore. their most important toys are a wheel %26 ball.
as long as they are tied securely so he doesn't trip over them!
you might want to remove the ends too in case he chews them and swallows the plastic
The plastic bits on the ends and the fibre may be an issue. You can buy commercial toys and treats (salt licks are popular), or just give them some cut up hamster fruit salad!
That can be dangerous from your shoelaces being old they can be pretty beat up depending on what you did while using the laces. When my little brother and I had a hamster, Hamtaro, he loved to chew on cardboard tubes from the paper towel. He would spend hours chewing on that and always seemed to have a blast.
I don't see why not. I've dun that befor an nothing bad happend.
i think its is better for you to wash them throughly first before giving it to the hamster, as you are not too sure what has gone into the shoe lace, things like mud, poop.
So would suggest if you wash it first.
Good luck :)
Sabby
remove the plastic tips on the end.

1 comment:

  1. Yea I don't see why not but before you give it to your hamster just cut off the plastic part and put it under a flame so it won't fray and you'll be fine

    ReplyDelete