Thursday, July 30, 2009

Is it okay to trick your winter white hamster into changing colors?

Can I turn on my air conditioning fairly low in my room, I love the white/black fur.
Dont immediatly start lecturing me on how cruel it is, I am only asking.
Answers:
It's not temperature that makes the color change, it's hours of daylight per day. Winter whites will go white if they sense the days are getting shorter over a period of several weeks. You would have to be very consistent to get the fur to change color.
Don't mess with the hamster by subjecting it to uncomfortable temperatures. Nothing will happen, except maybe the animal will get sick.
If you really want to induce the color change, wait until the fall when the days are getting noticeably shorter. Keep your pet in a room that only ever gets natural light. After a couple months you should see a considerable change.
Always consider how your pet will feel about these things, too. Make sure you don't end up neglecting or harming him.
Just spray paint the rat.
LOL richard.

And, no, I don't think that's a good idea. You should love your pet for who it is, not what it looks like. Lol, jk, I heard that some hamsters go into hibernation, so i wouldnt do it.
I don't think it is possible. Since you need summer to come for them to actually change coat colors, that means they slowly adapt to large temperature changes and I don't think you'll be comfortable living in above 80 degrees temperature just to see their grey coats.
Cambells have grey coats, maybe you'd like to get one of those? I don't think what you plan on doing, or are considering, is cruel but it is pretty unecessary and pointless.
Just let the animal go through its natural cycle lol
This would not work. The color change of the fur happens because of daylight hours. And, no, closing your curtains and blocking off all the light won't do anything either. It's a natural instinct type thing that tells their fur when to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment