Friday, July 31, 2009

Is it true that gerbils live shorter if they are alone?

My gerbil is about 8 months old black pretty cute. I asked my dad in the beginning if we could get 2 gerbils because i read they are happier and easier to tame. My dad said no. So will my gerbil be unhappy?
Answers:
It's too bad your dad said no! Silly dad, doesn't he know that 2 gerbils are no more difficult than having one? Lol. Oh well, anyway, no, it shouldn't reduce the lifespan, you just need to give it lots of extra attention and plenty to do in it's spare time, like lots of hay/cardboard/paper towels to shred and a safe wheel. Try to play with it daily and give it lots of love. Gerbils usually do very well in pairs or trios, but I wouldn't sweat the fact you have a 'loner'. I have 3 loners right now and they are all doing fine. There shouldn't be any problems with having just one, but next time, maybe show your dad the American Gerbil Society's website and explain that gerbils really do great in pairs...they are communal in the wild, so it's better for them psychologically.
If you were to introduce one now, you would have to do it with a split cage...if it is a male, it would accept a pup OK, more than likely, but if it is a female, the introductions are much harder as they will kill a pup! With adult females, it is better to introduce it to another female of the same size with the split cage method.Anyway, it still may never work out, then you have 2 gerbils in 2 cages. What I'm saying is that now it would be a lot more work and worry than if you would have got 2 together in the beginning.
I think your gerbil will be fine, given s/he is given daily attention from you.
I made the mistake of buying a single gerbil, I assumed they were solitary creatures like hamsters. After researching them more and finding out they are social animals I bought another gerbil and unsuccesfully tried to introduce them. They now live in separate cages.
They are supposed to be happier and live longer in pairs, but I've had people tell me they have had happy solitary gerbils before. I believe my little guys are happy! I give them plently of playtime out of their cage and plenty of attention (being held, floor ball, bathtub play area, new places to explore). And plenty of hand-fed treats and cardboard to chew on. I also have their cages in the most populated room of the apartment so they have stuff to watch.
I haven't had my guys for too long but we've already developed a relationship and I think they're as happy as they can be. However, in the future I will defintely buy them in pairs. Just because your gerbil is single doesn't mean he can't be happy, just give him lots of love!

No comments:

Post a Comment