Thursday, July 30, 2009

Is it possible the Vet could put my hamster to sleep (just to sleep or unconscious,) before injecting her..??;

i've heard that a vet puts a injection right through the Hamster's heart when euthanesia (sp.?) and it hurts them qite a lot. also it says most pets keep there eyes open. i wantmy hamster's eyes closed. if they aren't closed i wont be able to bury her because i'd have this weird instinct that she's still alive. would it be costly - don't mind paying, or do the vets do this anyway?
Answers:
sorry, but i really doubt that the vet could do that. i know it's hard, but from what you have been posting, it is time to let brownie go, please do not put it off again. believe me when i say i feel your pain,but you are just making your beloved pet suffer more. and no, they don't close their eyes. the vet will make sure that brownie is truly gone before letting you leave to bury. did you find a box yet? maybe someone you know has a box that their checks came in - it would be the perfect size - you could line it with some paper towels for a bed. my thoughts and prayers are with you as you go through this difficult time. if you want to, you can email me direct
When something goes through a heart like that it kills almost instantaneously. Being so small the hampster would be dead in about a half a second. It wouldn't have time to even react to the pain.
i don't think they do it through the heart you could ask your vet though anyway i think it might be a little costly to make him unconsious before putting him down but you could ask your vet i never had to put a hamster down yet so i really don't have that much experince in this question
it would be best to call the vet office and have them explain the procedure to you.
My heart goes out to you. I had to have my cat euthanized just yesterday and it's a hard thing to do. What the vet does is give the animal an injection first that puts them to sleep. That way they feel absolutely nothing. Then they give them the euthanization injection. My cat's eyes were open when she gave him the shot that made him sleep. I'm not sure if they can be closed gently at that point or not. I sat with my dog when they put her to sleep, and I can assure you that she felt nothing. I'm so sorry.....
Kim at: http://www.peaceful-organic-planet.com/n...
IDK but why do u have to put it down? I feel so bad for you...
I had to put one of my pets down, and I know how you feel...
The hammie will die instantly.
Dont worry.
I'm sure if you asked they would understand. I know it must be very hard for you and I hope you can get through it. I have never had an animal put down so I wouldn't know for sure.
The vet can use a little chloroform to put your hamster to sleep. Too much can kill it , but it just goes painlessly to sleep.
It should not add any cost. A hamster is so small just a tiny bit is needed.
no, there's no way the vet could possibly find a vein big enough to inject a needle into small rodents or any small animal, the biggest vein on an animal is the forehead, though, that still won't work for a hamster, it would be too much medication to kill it anyway.
I hear that all creatures keep their eyes open after they die, and when a person dies, people glue their eyes shut...
I don't know how the procedure goes, but you can try calling the office to know the procedure. Also, why does your hammie have to be put down? Really sick or old?
My heart also goes out to you. I had a 9 month old kitten put to rest in April and I still cry once a while about it. All creatures are special and will still be thought of, remember that.
OK, we treat lots of exotics at our practice. When it is time to euthanize them, we simply anesthetize them first with anesthetic gas--either by placing them in a little box or placing an anesthetic mask over their face. It is very fast and they fall asleep painlessly in a minute or so. Then they are given an injection, often cardiac (in the heart) for tiny patients, and they never know what happens. To stick the heart of an awake animal is very painful and inhumane. I'm sure any vet experienced with pocket pets would do this for you--just call around and ask. Animals eyes usually stay open after they have died, but they can be closed with a little surgical adhesive. We don't charge extra for any of these services--mostly just a partial office visit. I'm sorry about your little one. :(
you can ask them to use a seditive or a gas anesthetic before they give the injection. some vets will do it with every animal and some will not use it with a small animal like a hamster or rat.

1 comment: