Thursday, July 30, 2009

Is it safe to have an airfreshener near my hamster's cages?

my hamsters live in glass cages, and my cat likes to sit on top or near the cage if no one is watching him.I will be moving into a studio apartment soon so I need a way to keep my cat away from the cages...usually when there is something my cat isn't supposed to touch we put a Renuzits citrus air freshener next to it (because cats HATE the smell of oranges) and then my cat never bothers it...for example, we put one on the shelf where I have a picture of my grandfather because the cat knocked it off the shelf a few times, now he doesn't climb on the shelf anymore, it works really well.so my question was this:
if I put a citrus scented Renuzits air freshener next to my hamsters' glass cages would that hurt the hamsters? Because I know they are sensitive to odor...but I'm not sure which odors...
thanx
Answers:
I put a oder eater oust and a renuzit next to each of our guniea pig cages and it hasnt bothered them at all. Both of them are in glass cages with that fitted wire top thing.
Hamsters have AMAZING litle noses. I had 3, and they were super-sensitive to chemicals. I wouldn't put any kind of air freshener near their cage because of the chemicals.
Try some natural orange oil; just clean the table that their cage sits on with the orange oil (great cleaning product!), and your cat should stay away too! 2 birds with one stone!
I wouldn't because of the chemicals but you could slice an orange and sit it near the cage but your hamster will want to eat it.

No comments:

Post a Comment