Friday, July 31, 2009

Is my guinea pig jealous??

i have a guinea pig and i just bought a pomeranian puppy , i've been very happy with the new puppy and i haven't put a lot of attention on him and now when i touch him he bites me.
Answers:
You may want to try washing your hands thoroughly before trying to pet or pick up your piggie. He is probably smelling the dog on your hands %26 reacting to the smell. I'm not saying your Pom is stinky! I'm just saying that he can smell the dog %26 doesn't like it.
Secondly, the less attention you pay to your piggie, the less bonded he'll be with you. Its important that you spend some time with him. It would really help him if he had a piggie buddy in the same cage with him to keep him company. Guinea pigs are very social animals %26 can become depressed when they're kept by themselves. Won't you consider adopting him a same-sex buddy from a local shelter or rescue? You can find one near you by visiting http://www.petfinder.com/ %26 doing the quick search on the left side of the page. There are so many homeless piggies out there that would just love to come be your piggie's buddy! Please consider this.
Best of luck!
Animals do not have feelings, You might want them to have feelings. However, all they have is instinct.
I think that your guinea pig doesn't like your new dog. He is taking his dislike out on you. I would keep the dog out of where the GP is and set aside time for the GP.
He might be jelous.I had a guinea pig once,and I also had a dog.Just try to give them both equal attention!
I would think so, I would try to introduce them to each other. I had one guinea pig named Marshmellow then after a couple of months I thought that maybe she would want a friend so I bought chocolate Chip. Then I introduced them waiting to see if their was going to be trouble and none. But the first three weeks I paid more attention to Choco. Instead of Marshmellow and that鈥檚 when she started to bite me so what I did was I took them out and did exactly what I did to the other, if I petted one I pet the other. But that might be harder for you because it's a dog and it's a piggy?? Well I would introduce them to each other and then show them you love them both. It's better to have two friends than one good one?? If you know what I mean. Hoped I helped, sorry if didn't.
Animals actually DO feel emotion; they are much more complex than most people realize. It's like me saying a person who speaks latin doesn't have feelings because I don't understand what they're saying.
To answer your question, guinea pigs do sometimes get jealous. He's probably feeling cranky because you haven't been giving him as much attention. I would advise getting your piggie a (same-sex) guinea pig companion. A great website is http://www.barmy4boars.co.uk/ .

No comments:

Post a Comment