Thursday, July 30, 2009

Is it possible to purchase a hedgehog in Australia?

Currently in QLD and wishing to buy one. I think they're legal, but where can I find one?
Answers:
No, it's not possible to privately own a hedgehog in Australia - not legally anyway. Like other animals such as squirrels, the risk of these animals bringing diseases to Australia that we currently don't have here, like rabies for example, has made it illegal for people to own and import them. Being a veterinary student, I can tell you that according to the literature I study, hedgehogs are not legal in Australia.
I think you'll find that they are a protected species. Why would you be selfish enough to have one in captivity anyway.
All animals should be able to roam free. If they come to you for companionship or food, that's great. Otherwise let them be. I live in the southern Sydney region. We sometimes feed magpies but I'm not about to catch one and cage it for my amusement.
Put yourself in the animals position. Commited no crime but gaoled for life.
It should be possible. Start with exotic pet shops first. Be sure to ask on African pygmy hedgehogs. I do believe they are legal in Australia, but I would check to make sure. I have two hedgehogs and they're the best! I've enclosed a link below to a wonderful website with tons of information on African Pygmy hedgehogs. People, before responding on hedgehogs make sure you know the difference between European and African pygmy. There's a difference between the two. African pygmies make great pets.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, My name is Hayley and i have been searching for a place to buy hedgehogs for a while. you said you have two hedgehogs? would you mind explaining where and how you got them?

    ReplyDelete