Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Is it normal for hamsters to run away from you when you try to hold them?

Im buying a hamster tommorrow. I have friends that have hamsters that they just put there hands in the cage and the hamsters come running to them... How do i get my hamster to do that?
Answers:
Your hamster has to trust you. Try hand feeding. My hamster was afraid of me, but I began giving her treats out of my hand, and now she comes up to my hand.
How long have you had your hamsters, if you have had them awhile and they don't come to you than you probably don't give them enough attention and they aren't used to you yet, but don't worry because it is not to late to try and make friends with them, just start to play with them more and them run around on, or my personal favorite, wear a hooded sweatshirt backwards and let them ride around in you hood as you do housework and chores and stuff like that, just don't forget that they are in their!! Yikes!! If you just got them a week or two ago than it is perfectly normal, give them time to get used to their new surroundings and then try and comfort them and play with them all of the time or as often as you can.
there really isn't anything you can do...i got a hamster a week ago and when i put my hand in, it comes to me automatically. i guess it's just curious.
You have to hold them a lot. And give them A LOT of attention. My two dwarf hamsters run to me. And all I did was hold them a lot.
let it have it's adjustment time first to get used to new environment, about 2 days, then offer treats, always wash your hands before and after handling hamsters. get it an exercise ball to run in on your floor. the more activity it has the friendlier it will be, but it may take awhile.
It is normal for any species to be afraid and be protective from others that they think is a predator. Hamster is no different, they usually be friendly to their handlers when they are already familiar with them. If they don't like to be handled don't push it, they will usually nip and you could bleed. make sure that your hands are clean and don't smell like what you have just ate.

No comments:

Post a Comment