Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Is it normal for Hamsters to roll onto to their back when scared?

Ok so I am sounding like a bad Hammy Mom, but I did not mean to scare him.
For those following all my quesetions...
I got an all beige syrian hamster yesterday (Tuesday)
I do not know its gender, to early to tell
He lives in a Criter Trail Dazzle (adores the huge wheel)
He also has a bed and a log in his cage to play with.
This morning I checked on him and he was awake so I fed him a small piece of carrot, he took it right out of my hand.
While he was eating it I reached past him to flip back over his food dish and accidently touched him.
He instantly stretched out and flipped over on his back with his legs in the air (he was eating his carrot, I think he had his eyes closed while doing it). No bitting, squeaking or peeing occured.
Is this a normal hamster reaction when they are startled / scared?
Answers:
Yep. They roll on their back so that they can bite or scratch if neccessary. Some hamsters always do it, and won't actually object to being picked up still.
YES
The same thing happens to mine when i wake him up. He gose on his back and kickes. That's there defeces in the wild.
yer i had the same breed as that and mine always used to do that. and if ur hampster likes tubes then i give mine the inside of the toilet roll or kitchen roll cause they can crawl through it and they can it it cause it wont hurt them aswell and plus it makes a cheap toy?!?!?!
yer the hamster is just nervous cos its new and doesnt know you very well. my advice is to not put a food dish in his cage. Instead for the first week or so at least, give of the food directly to him by hand. This will help you create and good bond with your hamster. This is the only way my hamsters get food and i have 5 :)
Yeah, they seem to do that when they're startled.
yes. I had a hamster and they do this when they feel frightned, as a sort of defense.

No comments:

Post a Comment