Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Is it ok cut pad paper and be a hamster's bedding??

im afraid if its not ok to my hamsters.
another question.. related to my question
is it true that a wood bedding(beddings tou can see at petshop)that have sharp ends are harmful to hamsters?
Answers:
The best bedding to use for hamsters is aspen bedding.
It is softer... does not have the oils in it that cedar and pine do ( those oils are hard on the hamster's respiratory health... and they are a very noticeable smell in your home )... and aspen is very absorbant. Carefresh bedding is a popular choice as well, but in my experience not as good as aspen. If you are referring to cut up writing paper when you say 'cut pad paper', stay away from that. There are too many chemicals in that and can be very harmful/detrimental to your hamster's health.
I did for years use torn up newspapers with no problems.
As for the wood bedding, I can't answer as I didn't use it very much.
Currently I use torn newspaper for my mouse's bedding.
omg lol its a hamsters. of course its OK.
I personally would not cut pad paper for a hamster's bedding because they tend to stuff their bedding in their mouth, and they could get ink poisoning from it (slight chance, but it could happen).
There are some wood chips that have been known to cut their feet, but there are also some that aren't as harsh. I apologize, it has been years since I have had a rodent so I don't remember which type of wood is which. I personally used the lighter colored wood chips over the reddish ones, and never had any problems.
Instead of cutting the paper, rip it into pieces. It may make a difference.
Any paper will work-newspaper, writing paper, even cardboard, as long as its not too thick or cut too big. I used mostly newspaper on my rats and they never had a problem with it. As for the wood bedding, I have never heard that before. I know of a lot of folks that have used it and never had a problem. It just gets rather expensive over time which is why most people use newspaper. Hope this helps!
There were incidents where hamsters died of ink poisoning. I suggest you use torn up paper with no writing. I heard that carefresh bedding was one of the best choices.
It''s not a good idea to use paper, especially newspaper because the ink can poison small animals.
As far as wood goes cedar is toxic to small animals. Other woods like Pine and Aspen are perfectly safe and very inexpensive. If you're looking forsomething soft, however, I'd suggest care fresh. you can find it at any pet store
I would advise you to rip up some unbleached, unscented toilet paper for your hamster rather than pad paper. Its much, much softer and warmer for them, it makes a really cosy bed for hamsters, they absolutley love toilet or kitchen tissue, its the best bedding you can give them.
Saw dust (wood bedding) should not have sharp ends to hurt your hamster, however your hamster can be sensitive to the ammount of dust in it and can cause breathing problems. Avoid cedar wood chip at all costs, and fragranced wood chip... its poisonious and will kill a hamster.
tissue is good as a bedding. The wood shavings (pine) that you usually find in pet shops are not good for them. Also, you can throw in the center of the tissue or them to paly with. Don't use the whole roll of tissue though. Its more than enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment