Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Is it ok to feed your rat like all natural dog food?


Answers:
Yes! Rats, mice, gerbils and hamsters love a few dog food kibbles now and then.
It's high in protein and very good for their skin and coat.
I dump a few cups of high quality dog food kibble (from my dog) into my hamster food mix container and mix it up, so they get a little every day.
That would be two cups worth in 20+ pounds of hamster food, in case you're wondering. LOL. By the time it's all mixed together it's really not a lot - just enough to give them a few pieces every day without me having to manually give them dog food every time I feed them.
you can feed them that but i feed my rats kibbles and bits and some parrot food
I feed my rats a form of the Sue-Bee's diet with includes adding a high quality dry dog food. Matter of fact, a lot of the time they pick those pieces out first! So, dog food won't hurt them, but definately don't make it their sole diet either.
Most dog food has far too much protein in it to keep a rat healthy. Too much protein in a rat's diet will cause it to get very itchy skin, and will scratch itself until it gets scabs from it.
This is what I mix up to feed my rats:
5lb Nutro Lite Natural Choice Dog Food (or any dog food with 14% OR LESS protein)
1 box multigrain cheerios
2 boxes uncooked tri-color pasta
1 lb Zupreem fruit shaped bits for large parrots
1lb large parrot seed mix
5 cups uncooked old-fashioned oatmeal
2 cups nuts in shells (peanuts, walnuts, almonds, etc)
I keep the mix in a large, 5 gal. bucket, and feed it to the rats. For 2 rats, this mix will last for many months.
I also give my rats a bit of whatever I'm having for dinner, as long as it's healthy. If its good for you, it'll be good for them.
Yes, it is okay to feed high quality dry dog food to your rats. I use the Nutro senior small dog formula- senior because it is lower in protein, (you don't want anything over about 14% protein for rats), small dog because the pieces are smaller. I mix it with a fortified seed and vegetable based rat food. It can be a more cost effective way to feed your rat, especially if you have many, which I do.
BONUS-- go to http://www.nutroproducts.com/yourfamily/... to get a coupon for a free bag of Nutro food. I got mine in the mail not too long ago, great deal. Too bad you can only get one per household!
i have 5 rats and i feed them anything. (Except citrus) try them. they will tell you if they dont like it.
Dog food can't hurt in small quantities. Mine eat everything I eat, but as treats. As a main food source rat food is specially formulated. Also, rodent teeth continuously grow. Make sure they eat hard food to keep their teeth trim so they don't grow through their brains!!
Of course...Rats love any food... but I also recommend putting in some fresh veggies and giving them cooked meat sometimes...Rats have organ systems very close to humans so they can eat pretty much anything we can as long as its in proportion...for example..you cant give them a peice of chocolate the size of their head...but, a small peice of chocolate evey now and then wont hurt them

No comments:

Post a Comment